Monday, June 11, 2012
Today's quick supplement information: Fenugreek
Fenugreek is a powerful herb traditionally used in flavoring ethnic dishes. Mostly it can be found in Indian, Persian, Eritrean, and Ethiopian cuisine. Recently it has received much attention for its medicinal properties as well. Most of the medicinal benefits seem to be due to the herb's rich levels of alkaloids as well as its ability to balance blood sugar and restore healthy cholesterol levels.
The Top Benefits of Supplementing Fenugreek Include:
- Strong antioxidant to fight free radicals and boost the immune system
- Great for digestion: reduces gastric inflammation, acid reflux and heartburn
- Shown to decrease appetite and maintain a healthy metabolism
- Promotes healthy hormone levels in both men and women
- Helpful in treating diabetes and lowering blood sugar levels
- Helps restore healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Lessens the side effects of menopause in women
So if you are looking for a new supplement to add to your kit bag this may be the one! For the fellas, need one more reason to guve it a whirl? A June 2011 study at the Australian Centre for Integrative Clinical and Molecular Medicine found that men aged 25 to 52 who took a fenugreek extract twice daily for six weeks scored 25% higher on tests gauging libido levels than those who took a placebo!